No matter what time of year you wind up in Nantucket, you’re sure to experience two things: preppy clothing and volatile weather.
This shouldn’t be shocking to anyone–after all, you’re traveling to New England, where most of the locals have spent lots of time on a boat, and temperatures could jump 20 degrees from one day to the next.
If you’re wondering how to pack for trips with both hot and cold weather, follow this easy-to-use packing guide!
Resident Nantucketers can easily roll with the changes, but it’s harder for out-of-towners who need to know what to bring. Put the outfits you see here on your Nantucket packing list, and you’ll be good to go!
On the Ferry
The traditional way to get to the island of Nantucket is by ferry. (There are also flights with some airlines). The ferry starts off the feel for your nautical weekend. You’ll be on the water for a few hours, and that means you could experience any kind of weather.
Don’t let the mainland temperature fool you–even if the sun is blazing and there’s not a cloud in the sky, it could all change on the ride. There’s space to crawl inside should you need some cover, but everyone else will have the same idea.
Take a look at these stylish and Insta-friendly water-resistant jackets!
For this reason, it’s important to bring some rain gear. A pastel-colored trench and a clear bubble umbrella are two great places to start!
Throw on some boat shoes (an appropriate name for an appropriate shoe), and leave behind your leather coat, sandals, and anything else that doesn’t mix well with water.
Also important: seasickness pills. Because you never know how the waves will affect you.
Occasionally water adventures require special shoes. But not all trips require the same type. Find out which water shoes to wear for specific activities!
Off to Brunch
There are tons of quaint brunch spots in Nantucket that are just begging for you and your friends to check into on social media. Make sure you’re photo-ready with a cute and practical outfit.
Temperatures can vary throughout the day, so be prepared for cool and warm weather before you leave your cottage. A heavy sweater and shorts combo works nicely.
Here’s a guide on how to choose the best travel coat!
If your legs are prone to getting cold, you can always swap out the shorts for a long skirt that will block the cool air, but still keep you comfortable if temperatures increase.
Wear shoes that are comfortable, or you’ll feel the wrath of the cobblestone streets of New England…and that’s a major brunch buzzkill.
Finding shoes that are both comfortable and fashionable is the ultimate goal for almost all female travelers! Read this to find out where to shop for comfortable shoes!
Out to the Bars
Most of the bars in Nantucket are local spots that lean on the casual side. A cute blouse with a pair of skinny jeans is most appropriate, but if you prefer to show off your stems with a dress or skirt, that works, too–just aim for flowy and sweet over tight and sexy.
Being dressed to the nines is not really part of the nautical, preppy style there. Opt for pastel colors, nautical prints, and ruffles to add some Nantucket flair.
Find out how to turn any of your dresses into a versatile dress!
If you want to wear heels, the bars are the time to do it. Thankfully, there are now ride-sharing services available on the island, so you won’t have to brave the cobblestones in your favorite stilettos! Just get your friends together, request a car, and hop onboard!
- 1.Beach Bag with Built-in CoolerA beach bag is an essential item on your Nantucket vacation. With a new beach to discover each day, a waterproof beach bag allows you to pack your supplies with ease to make your beach experience carefree and fun. This bag is lightweight and big enough to hold snacks, chilly drinks, sunscreen, and beach items for all-day fun.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 2.Water ShoesWater shoes are ideal for almost every water activity on Nantucket. The beaches sometimes have dramatic drop-offs from the changing tides and can have rocky bottoms. Bringing a pair of comfortable water shoes will protect your feet from rocky bottoms or create nice traction for water sports.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 3.Waterproof Phone PouchA waterproof phone pouch is absolutely needed when packing for Nantucket. Easily use your phone in any situation without worrying while out and about. Take it paddle boarding, boating, or to the beach without the fear of water damage. This case is easy to use and works perfectly for functionality while your phone is enclosed, and you can film beautiful underwater videos!View on Amazon.com ➜
- 4.Swimsuit Cover-UpA swimsuit cover-up is a great item to bring while vacationing in Nantucket. Wear it around town before going to the beach or wear it to run errands. Make sure it’s comfortable because if you don’t have a car, you most likely will be getting around by bike or foot. A lightweight, breathable cover-up will be great for those warm days.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 5.Quick-Dry Travel TowelA microfiber towel is extremely useful to pack when going to Nantucket. Whether you’re at the beach, on the boat, or paddle boarding around the island – this towel will be used. These towels dry quickly, are easy to fit in bags, are soft on the skin, and are an excellent accessory for any water activity.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 6.Travel Insurance for NantucketTravel Insurance is a wonderful idea to get when traveling to any vacation spot. Having travel insurance gives you a safety net in case of flight cancelation, lost luggage, or if you have an unexpected serious injury. It’s better to be safe than sorry (or risk paying out of pocket), so get travel insurance in case of an emergency. We receive customized plans on Faye Insurance. They offer unique add-ons like ‘cancel for any reason’ and extreme sports. Their easy-to-use mobile app makes claims or reimbursements a breeze!Get a quote in less than 60 seconds with Faye ➜
- 7.A Nice OutfitNantucket is a very fashionable island so be sure to pack a nice outfit for special occasions or dinners. A lovely dress for women and slacks with a button-down for men are perfect. A dressy outfit is ideal for Nantucket restaurants as they boast renowned fish menus and excellent nighttime bars.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 8.Walking ShoesNantucket is a very chic and fashion-forward vacation destination, so bringing a nice pair of shoes with you is important. Wear them for evening dinners or wandering around the old town. Although the shoes should be nice, also make sure they are comfortable, as the streets are cobblestones and very uneven.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 9.Dry BagWith Nantucket being an Island, it’s no surprise that you might end up by the water for most of your vacation. Live the true Nantucket experience with your belongings being dry and safe while partaking in the water activities this destination has to offer. This dry bag is big enough to fit numerous pieces (phones, cash, medicine, books, etc.) for protection and safekeeping during outings.View on Amazon.com ➜
- 10.Portable Lipstick-Sized ChargerWith Nantucket offering so many activities – a portable charger will be a lifesaver. Gone are the days of worrying about having dying phones and half-charged cameras. Enjoy Nantucket stress-free while your technology is charged on your day trips or long evenings wandering the beaches or enjoying the delicious restaurants.View on Amazon.com ➜