With so many different shapewear styles available, we decided it was high time for us to find our tried and true pieces — so the PEOPLE Tested team put dozens of designs to the real world test to find the best shapewear pieces across multiple categories.
Skims Sculpting Bodysuit With Snaps
- Fit 3.9/5
- Comfort 3.9/5
- Look 3.6/5
- Durability 5/5
- Seamless design doesn’t show up under clothing, including lighter materials like T-shirts
- Nylon and spandex material, coupled with the fit, make it very comfortable
- Straps don’t dig into the skin, which adds to the comfort and invisibility under garments
- Provides a good smoothing effect around the waist
- We wish it had more compression, but that’s ultimately a personal preference
After testing dozens of styles, our top pick for the best bodysuit is the Skims Sculpting Bodysuit with Snaps. We love this suit because it has a seamless fits-like-a-glove design that is virtually invisible under clothing, including thinner garments like T-shirts. The nylon and spandex material is also super comfortable and aid the overall fit, plus we found that the straps don’t dig into the skin (which was much-appreciated).
While the undergarment isn’t as compressive as we would have liked, it does a fantastic job at smoothing the waist. Plus, some may love that it’s comfortable enough for all-day wear due to it being less restrictive than a high-compression bodysuit. Plus, as with other Skims products, Skims shapewear has one of the most inclusive size and skin-tone color ranges on the market, so there’s an option for nearly everyone.
Price at time of publish: $68
Size Range: 2XS-5XL | Materials: Nylon, spandex | Benefits: Smoothes the core, lifts the butt, supports the chest
Best Budget Bodysuit
Maidenform Women’s Wear Your Own Bra Singlet Fajas Shapewear
- Fit 3.7/5
- Comfort 3.8/5
- Look 4.5/5
- Durability 5/5
- Made from a super soft and slightly stretchy material that holds its shape well
- We love that it has an open bust so that you can wear your own bra
- Impressive smoothing effect
- Material is a little thinner compared to similar styles, which made it a lot more comfortable and breathable
- Bodysuit is crotchless, so it’s easy to go to the bathroom
- Only comes in two colors, which won’t suit everyone’s skin tone or preference
- We wish the size range was more inclusive
The Maidenform Women’s Wear Your Own Bra Singlet Fajas Shapewear is our top pick for the best budget bodysuit because, despite having a less than $30 price tag, it’s comparable to more luxe styles. This bodysuit is designed with super soft nylon and spandex material that stretches over the body well without losing its shape. We love that it has an open bust, which allows for a better fit and ensures you can wear your own bra for added support.
After testing out this bodysuit, we were most impressed by how well it smoothes the body, especially on the hips, belly, butt, and thighs. We also liked that the material is thin, which makes it more breathable when worn under thicker fabrics. One of the worst things about wearing bodysuits is taking it off to use the bathroom. Since this bodysuit is crotchless, it made bathroom breaks so much easier, which was greatly appreciated. We only wish the color and size ranges were inclusive to more plus sizes and various skin tones.
Price at time of publish: $24.50
Size Range: S-2XL | Materials: Nylon, spandex | Benefits: Shapes tummy, hips, and thighs
Spanx Ahhh-llelujah Fit to You Everyday Shorts
- Fit 4.5/5
- Comfort 5/5
- Look 5/5
- Durability 5/5
- Provide lightweight compression but aren’t too tight, making them comfortable enough for all-day wear
- Don’t roll down at the waist and stay put on the thighs all day long
- Work best for slimming the tops of the thighs, but can also smooth the hips, too
- Shapewear fabric and design make them feel like an elevated pair of bike shorts
- Offer more lightweight compression, which isn’t always preferred with shapewear
When searching for the best shapewear short, we want something comfortable enough for all-day wear with some shaping and smoothing capabilities. After testing the Spanx Ahhh-llelujah Fit to You Everyday Shorts, we can confidently say that these shorts are some of the best we’ve ever worn. While it might not be preferred by everyone, we love that they have lightweight compression because they are tight but not suffocating, making them comfortable enough for all-day wear.
The shorts are more like elevated bike shorts that help protect against chafing under dresses, but also provide lightweight smoothing and shaping on the upper things, hips, and low belly, too. We also found that these Spanx shorts stay put, whether you’re at the office or running errands, so you don’t have to worry about them rolling down or twisting along the thighs.
Price at time of publish: $36
Size Range: One size | Materials: Nylon, elastane | Benefits: Anti-chafe, no visible panty lines